Re: [multitail] Multitail Makefile problem

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 04:34:04PM +0100, Pedro Alves wrote:

> I have a small problem with multitail. I allways have to change the
> Makefile because the way DESTDIR is defined does not work on my system. I
> install multitail in /opt/multitail-versionnumber. However, if I put this
> in the makefile, I get a structure like
> /opt/multitail-versionnumber/usr/<etc...>.
>
> I'm not sure if many of you use this option, but this does not seem to me
> the usual approach.

DESTDIR appears to be behaving correctly: it causes the files to go
into a hiearchy that looks just like the standard one, but is rooted
in DESTDIR instead of the top-level / dir (/usr as defined in the
Makefile). This is a temporary location, designed for distribution
packaging, not a way to install your stuff for use in a place other
than /. The problem is that there isn't a PREFIX. For example, you
want to use /opt/multitail-XXX as the ultimate runtime location /usr:
factor "/usr" out of the makefile targets and place it in a new PREFIX
variable. Maybe a separate ETCDIR (instead of PREFIX) since one might
want /etc if PREFIX is /usr but /usr/local/etc if PREFIX is somewhere
in /usr/local.

dan

--
Daniel Macks