Re: [multitail] multitail repeated command?

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 09:39:50AM -0600, Peter Fales wrote:
> I've recently started using multitail-5.2.6, and there is something
> I don't quite understand.   I'm not sure if it's a bug, or if I
> just don't understand how things are supposed to work...
>
> If I use a command like this
>
> 	multitail -rc 2 -l date
>
> I would expect the screen to be cleared before each command so that
> there is always just one date line at the top of screen.   Instead
> I see multiple dates scrolling down the screen.  In other words,
> I see no difference between "-r 5" and "-rc 5".  Is that correct?
>
> Any insights are welcome!
>
> --
> Peter Fales
> Alcatel-Lucent
> Member of Technical Staff
> 1960 Lucent Lane
> Room: 9H-505
> Naperville, IL 60566-7033
> Email: Peter.Fales@alcatel-lucent.com
> Phone: 630 979 8031

I can  not explain in  details which difference between  two parameters,
However to achieve their goals, I would use:

    multitail -Rc 2 -l date

the bad  part is that  the display is flashing,  and if you  have other
windows with logs, will simply horrible.

As option, you can use the command watch:

    watch -n 2 date

I believe it is more appropriate in this case in specific.

I'm sorry for my limited English.

--
"Não manejo bem as palavras
Mas manipulo bem as strings."